(1) Clarify the Three Sections. Enumerating the whole body regarding the Three Sections, then the hand & elbow are the Tip Section, the waist & abdomen are the Middle Section, the feet & legs are the Root Section, thus the body is divided regarding the Three Sections, but within the Three Sections each also has three sections, too. Such as the hand being the tip section’s tip section, the elbow being the tip section’s middle section, the shoulder being the tip section’s root section, in this case the Tip Section surely has three sections. The chest is the middle section’s tip section, the heart is the middle section’s middle section, the Dantian is the middle section’s root section, in this case the Middle Section surely has three sections. The foot is the root section’s tip section, the knee is the root section’s middle section, the Kua is the root section’s root section, in this case the Root Section surely has three sections. The gist is nothing else but initiating, following, & chasing, that’s all. By protecting the Tip Section initiates, the Middle Section follows, the Root Section chases, the Three Sections will correspond, common people aren’t likely to have the mistake of length’s bent or straight, or the sickness of uneven turning up or turning down. In this case the Three Sections are the reason why your name will be bright.
The Explanation says: This is called the Initiating, Following, & Chasing Jin Method, even though the name is different than the Three Sections the Jin Method is the same. The Concealed Connected Body Jin Method is thus, & each section’s Jin Method is also thus. Initiating Waist initiates going, Following Waist follows the order, Chasing Waist overtakes, one motion & three Jin all arrive, without missing.
The Secrets say: The body uses rolling & rising, the hands use rolling & extending, the body advances & the hands & feet follow, the Three Sections are naturally even.
(2) Even out the Four Tips. The hair is the blood tip, the fingers & toes are the tendon tip, the teeth are the bone tip, the tongue is the muscle tip, these are the Four Tips. You must cause the hair to desire to clash with your hat (the hair stands up in anger & tips off the hat), the nails desire to penetrate the bones, the teeth desire to break metal (gnashing one’s teeth), the tongue desire to press the teeth (tongue presses the upper palate), the center shakes once & four parts all arrive, then the Four Tips are even, & the Internal Jin is naturally produced. Build Qi from the Dantian & grow, vicious like a tiger, startling like a dragon, Qi issues & there is a sound, the sound follows the hand’s falling, the hand follows the sound’s issuing, if one branch moves then a hundred branches move, the Four Tips are already even, & the Internal Jin extends without lack.
(3) Close the Five Phases. The Five Phases are Metal, Wood, Water, Fire, & Earth. The Internal type are people’s Five Viscera, the External type are people’s Five Senses. Such as the heart belongs to Fire, the heart presses courage & strength to be born; the liver belongs to wood, the liver presses anger to blaze vigorously; the spleen belongs to Earth, the spleen moves with great strength in attack; the lungs belong to Metal, the lungs’ movement sinks like rolling thunder; kidneys belongs to Water, the kidneys movement is as quick as the wind, these are the Five Phases that exist on the inside. The eyes connect to the liver, the nose connects to the lungs, the ears connect to the kidneys, the tongue connects to the heart, the Renzhong cavity connects to the spleen, these are the Five Phases that manifest on the outside. Therefore it’s said: the Five Phases root are five closed paths, no person guards the self by concealing obstructions, Heaven & Earth copulate by concealing the Sun & Moon, Martial Skills mutually contend by closing the Five Phases, this an authentic opinion. As well as that which is most suitable to know, the center of the hand connects to the heart belongs to Fire, the tip of the nose connects to the lungs belongs to Metal, completing these two is also according to natural principles, the remainder may deduced by analogy.
The Explanation says: The hand strikes & the nose connects, Fire arrives & Metal transforms, are also nature’s principles. When taking part in mutual comparison with others, first close & stop your own Five Phases (Five Senses) in order to overcome other people’s Five Phases, this is called the ability to use four Liang to push aside a thousand Jin. It is permitted to mutually consult the Four Tips Method.
(4) Body Method. The Body Method must have these eight: Rising, Falling, Advancing, Retreating, Reversing, Lateral, Collecting, Releasing, that’s all. Rising & Falling are, Rising is horizontal, Falling is smooth. Advancing & Retreating are, Advance Step is low, & Retreat Step is high. Reverse & Lateral are, Reversing Body looks after the back, & Lateral Body looks after left & right. Collecting & Releasing are, Collect as if a concealed cat, & Release as if a freed tiger. Generally speaking calm usage is proper, upright usage is clever, & the Three Sections are mutually threaded together, these cannot be unknown.
The Explanation says: Rise towards the heights, bind the body & rise, Fall towards the depths, spread the body & fall.
(5) Footwork. The Stepping Methods are Inch, Falling, Passing, Quick, Splashing. If two or three Chi apart, then use Inch Step, if four or five Chi apart then use Falling Step, you must bump him, you can then arrive in a single step. If encountering a vigorous & strong body, then use Passing Step, that is Advance the front foot & quickly pass the rear foot, what is called the step rises & the person falls is surely too much for people. If there is one Zhang to eight Chi distance, then use Quick Step. Quick Step is raising the front foot, carry the rear foot to evenly step as if flying & go. Though it really isn’t jumping & going, this is the idea in Horse Rushing & Tiger Fleeing, it isn’t skillful if you can complete it but can’t easily use it, but if the distance is too far don’t issue the foot, that’s all. If you encounter many people or someone with a weapon, then Linked Legs raise the feet, combining scissoring & rising, i.e. what’s called Picking Feet Double Rising’s theory, that is Mandarin Duck Leg Method, also like the Sparrow Hawk Enters the Forest & Swallow Skims Water Patterns, too. Study it as you wish to use it, however to be able to move freely the Method cannot be immature. Practice it skillfully & use it unintentionally, when taken to the limit it is called wonderful.
(6) Hand & Foot Method. The Hand Methods are Single Hand, Double Hand, Rising Hand, Leading Hand, Intercepting Hand, Issuing Hand. When the Tendon Tip’s issuing has rising & has falling it is called Rising Hand. When the Tendon Tip does not issue, rising & not falling, it is called Leading Hand. Raising the front hand like Sparrow Hawk Enters the Forest, or pushing the rear hand like Swallow Skims the Water, first ascend then lengthen the body as soon as you overturn & fall, this is called the Single Hand Method. If both hands cooperate, simultaneously rising & falling, rising like lifting a cauldron, falling like dividing a bottle (not a full bottle, i.e. Emptiness is the idea), this is called the Double Hand Method. Smooth rising & smooth falling, joining by means of leading & rolling, is called Intercepting Hand. Straight issuing at the chest is called Issuing Hand. In short it is straight & not straight, bent & not bent. The elbow protects the center when issuing, the Kua follows the hand rising, & it’s rising is like a tiger pouncing on someone, it’s falling is like an eagle catching something.
The Foot Method is Rising Drilling Falling Overturning, if you dread a kick you should Stamp & nothing more. Conceal the leg rising toward the knee, by raising the knee toward the chest, the leg then strikes the knee & issues, & so its appearance on overturning is like the hand rising to Scoop the Yin. As for falling it’s like a rock digging into something. If your hand’s falling wipes the eyebrow too, the enemy will dread this kick. This is called the leg rising all over freely. A proper Stamp is like placing something under the foot, the way the hand’s falling resembles an eagle’s grabbing. Thus the Hand & Foot Methods naturally have the same basis, & the foot can only be useful after it is like a tiger moving silently, & a dragon moving unpredictably.
The Explanation says: With the Hand Method & Foot Method, in general you should choose a small number to benefit from agility & become clever. By no means should you practice until the Qi is stagnant & dull, causing yourself to fall into a trap & suffer defeat. Surely, the so-called Stagnant Qi never struck anybody.
(7) Upper Method & Advancing Method. Concealing the Upper Method’s use of the hands is subtle, the Advancing Method’s use of the feet is unusual, & collecting uses the Body Method demandingly, just like the hand rising resembles a red Phoenix facing the sun. Supposing the Advance Step is a front step, either a rushing forward or rushing backward Advance Step, the rear leg stamp strikes. You must have the Three Sections clarified, the Four Tips evened out, the Five Phases closed, the Hand & Foot Methods linked. After that inspect the distance, varying according to the enemy’s level of experience, and arrive with a single movement. Thus there are six parts to the method. What are the six? They are Skill, Following, Courage, Quickness, Vicious, & Straight. Skill is clever. Following is natural. Courage is decisive. Quickness is swift. Vicious is hateful, furious rage, i.e. movement that cannot tolerate a feeling, the entire core shakes & the Internal Jin issues. Straight is straightforwardly issuing what’s in your heart to see its truth & change the difficulties. Understand the Six Parts then the Upper Method & Advancing Method will be complete.
(8) Observation Method, Opening Method, Intercepting Method, & Chasing Method
The Observation Methods are Single Observing, Double Observing, Upper Observing, Lower Observing, & Observing the Front & Back, Left & Right. If Single Observing then use Intercepting Hammer, if Double Observing then use Horizontal Hammer, observing above then use Thrusting to Heaven Pounding, observing below then use Lying on the Earth Pounding, observing the front & back then use Front & Back Tip Hammer or use Front & Back Severing Fist, observing the left & right then use Enclose the Side Pounding or use Enclosing Body Pounding. These are used according to the situation & movements, not like other people’s hook linked scaffolding.
The Opening Methods are Posses the Left to Open the Right Opening, Hard Opening, & Soft Opening. Left Opening is like Spirt Filling Pounding (Village Enclosing), Right Opening is like Outside Filling Pounding (External Enclosing). Hard Opening is like the former Six Arts’ Hard Skill, Soft Opening is like the Six Arts’ Soft Skill.
The Intercepting Methods are Intercepting the Hand, Intercepting the Body, Intercepting the Words, Intercepting the Face, & Intercepting the Mind. Intercepting the Hand is when he moves & I intercept him. Intercepting the Body is when he hasn’t moved yet & I intercept him. Intercepting the Words are when his words reveal his intent & I intercept him. Intercepting the Face is when his face reveals his desire & I intercept him. Intercepting the Mind is when his sweet words appear respectful toward me, I guard against his intentions & meet the opportunity in order to intercept him.
The Explanation says: The face smiles without moving the lips, surely rising up releases a person’s intentions. Chasing the wind to catch the Moon without relaxing, he cannot escape even if he wishes. Why worry even if he has various schemes & evil techniques?
(9) Three Qualities to Tune & Foster. Build up the eyes’ sharpness, the ears’ sensitivity, & the heart’s bravery. The techniques of these three qualities have exquisite usefulness. Therefore, if the eyes are not always moving, the ears are not always reporting noise, & the heart is not always fearless, then common people will not notice the spiritual intention within me & behave, causing a lifetime of worry over missed opportunities.
The Explanation says: You must stay vigilant before battle, be careful not to celebrate too soon.
(10) Jin Method. The Jin resides within formlessly, & extends to the surface to show visibly, its reality is difficult to convey in words, so its principles may also be irregular. The will is the Qi’s commander, Qi is the body’s fuel, the mind moves & the Qi immediately follows it, the Qi moves & power immediately goes to it, this is certainly its principle. Now in order to get good results in this skill let us discuss it. Therefore Knocking Jin is incorrect, Effort Jin is incorrect, so-called Joined Jin, or Collapsing Jin is in all cases incorrect, only Shaking Jin is correct. Knocking Jin is too straight, it is detrimental to Rising & Falling, Effort Jin is too inflexible & difficult to change, Joined Jin or Collapsing Jin is too hurried & makes extending maneuvers difficult, only Shaking Jin, with its nimble coming & going, can cause the Sun & Moon not to shine & not see its shape. The hand arrives & the Jin issues, Heaven & Earth mutually combine, like the wind passing alone, & so it’s strength isn’t wasted. In short by applying the Three Qualities during a battle, issue it in a single moment, like a tiger’s extended claws do not meet claws, & so creatures cannot escape, like a dragon’s use of power is not used against the powerful, & so cannot be blocked. Thus the Ten Methods merge together & subdue people. Where is the disadvantage?
Persistantly train the above-mentioned Ten Methods to completion, or your martial arts will not succeed! I have gathered together its principles, selected the essentials & explained them, in order to leave behind scholarly teaching.